POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems of the unexpirienced. : Re: Problems of the unexpirienced. Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems of the unexpirienced.
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Aug 2002 08:41:14
Message: <3D6B7369.9FCA6894@gmx.de>
Eitan Tal wrote:

> [...]
>
> In my opinion, the Design and Architecture of the scene are at least as
> important as the techincal matters. I can find a lot of documentation about
> technical problems, but few seem to talk about architecture.

I think technical aspects will always come before the artistic issues, you
can start making a scene without any idea of composition and design, but
not without knowing the technical basics.  None the less i agree design
and composition are something very important, the fact this is not a topic
dealt with that much in discussions here is probably because there are no
fixed rules and measures what is good and what not.  But when reading in
p.b.i. you will find quite a lot of comments in that field.

The most interesting aspects about designing 3d scenes IMO are the
differences compared to convential painting and drawing.  There are
certain things that are quite difficult to change after starting a picture
with convential techniques but are very easy to modify in a POV-scene.  On
the other hand the technical possibilities when drawing with a pencil are
quite well defined while you are continuously in struggle with the
technical limits when working on computers.

> Question: Will it be a good idea to decide first where the camera is placed
> what what is it looking at?

That of course depends on the scene.  Anyway most more complicated scenes
are designed for one camera perspective.  In such a case larger camera
movements are usually limited to the beginning of scene design.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______